Thursday, August 12, 2010

Scale Insanity And an Answer to a Question

So... I jumped on my scale this morning and it registered 343.0. No change. Then I tried it again and 342.4. I then got 342.4 three more times. Le Sigh. I am being driven insane by this stupid scale. I have a great weigh in then a terrible one or two then another great one and it is frustrating.

I know for a fact that I am losing fat. I can feel it. I can see it in the fit of my clothes. So I am not worried. I just have to keep reminding myself that the scale is merely a tool, not my be all or end all. There are a lot of factors that can cause variations in scale numbers. I need to not let it make me nutzy.

Last night, we pounded out a fast two miles and it felt to get out there and go. Husband is starting to burn out on walking. Each time we go, he tries to get me to shorten distance and seems more and more reluctant to go. Whatever. I really don't give a flying shit what he thinks or what he wants and he is going. He no longer dictates everything. And if he doesn't like it, he can suck it.

Has anyone seen It's Complicated yet? Funny movie. I happened across it the other day when I was channel surfing through all the PPV channels. (One perk of Husband working for our local cable company is free TV including a full boat open box and DVR, and free high speed Internet and free phone, including long distance. Maybe that is why I am sticking around? lol) I caught the movie part way in. I need to watch it from the beginning. Should record it, shouldn't I?

Okay, I have a banner on my sidebar that stated that if someone asks you to cut your long hair off just say no. I was recently asked why. I have that banner because I am damned sick and tired of running up against the assumption that everyone who is growing their hair is doing so in order to donate it to Locks of Love. And that if we aren't growing our hair for the sole purpose of donating it, we are somehow uncaring, selfish, horrible, monsters who don't want to help kids with cancer.

Here are a few little things for the Locks of Love army to chew over. Locks of Love is a charity whose mission statement is to make human hair wigs to be sold to children with alopecia or another medical condition that results in permanent hair loss. Locks of Love does not give human hair wigs to children with cancer who will one day re grow their hair. Locks of Love doesn't give wigs to anyone. The wigs are sold to the parents of the child on a sliding scale after a lengthy application process that involves submitting financial records, tax returns, essays and photos. Applying to get a hair piece for a child from that organization is about as intrusive as registering to run for the office of President of this country. lol

Locks of Love has benefited from the massive media push that mistakenly started hyping that the organization gives wigs to children with cancer and that every hair donation will make a child happy and feel good about themselves. And Locks of Love has done nothing to correct this massive misunderstanding. People line up to have their hair chopped off. Schools hold hair donation drives and little girls and boys with long hair are expected to step up and do their part and if they refuse, they are hounded by students and teachers, even principals as being selfish brats who don't care about other kids with cancer. How fucked up is that? How would you like your child to be harassed because he or she wants to keep their hair? How about your workplace holding a chop drive and pressuring you into donating, even if you really love your hair and it is a part of you and you don't want to cut it.

Locks of Love doesn't make wigs of very much of the hair they collect. The vast majority of the hair donated doesn't meet their stringent standards. Hair to be used in wigs must be perfect, virgin hair. It can't be coloured, bleached, highlighted or treated with natural henna. It can't have a lot of split ends, any breakage or even a strand of grey. Very fine or coarse or very curly hair is also excluded. All hair that doesn't fit the criteria is either sold or thrown away. Hair that is sold goes in to extensions, is used to make cores for golf balls and so forth. Locks of Love has an immense cash war chest, thanks to all the money they make selling so much of the hair they collect from donations.

Locks of Love outsources the majority of the wig making work. And the majority of the hair used in the wigs they sell to children is sourced from India, China, Eastern Europe. Very little hair donated here in America is actually used.

Locks of Love will supply a synthetic wig (at a cost, of course) to a child with cancer who has lost their hair due to treatments and will one day grow it back. I ask what is the point? If a child with cancer really wants a wig, they are easily obtained. Locks of Love isn't the only place to get them. People, adults and children who are undergoing cancer treatment are often immunosuppressed and human hair wigs aren't always a good choice for them. Synthetic is better. BUT more important than a wig to anyone fighting cancer that I have ever spoken to is a cure. Beating the disease and getting well. I have yet to meet anyone with cancer who sighed, "I wish someone would give me a wig!"

I understand that there are a lot of people who will shave their hair off in support of a friend or loved one fighting cancer. Sometimes they donate the hair to be sold or sell the hair themselves, to raise money for a cancer hospital or for a person's medical bills. Or they will decide to cut it and donate it to a hair collecting wig making charity. I think that this is a beautiful thing to do. To give a piece of yourself this way, if done freely is a wonderful gesture. And I would never judge a person for making that choice. It is their hair and they are free to do with it as they choose!

And please don't judge me or anyone else who chooses to keep our hair.

There it is. My reason for my banner.

One might get the impression from the above that I am anti short hair, or something. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am very much pro do your own thing. Whether you rock a chrome dome or tresses that flow to the floor or beyond, or anything in between, it is all good. I do like and appreciate the beauty of long hair. But I also appreciate the beauty of a fabulous short cut. And I would never impose my personal hair philosophy on anyone else. I like to grow my hair out. It is super short (to me, anyway) right now because I damaged it horribly and am growing out and cutting away that damage. Otherwise, it would be hanging somewhere around my mid thigh in length. To me, my hair is a part of me, part of my identity and it causes me physical and spiritual pain to cut it. I debate and waffle for weeks, sometimes months just to decide to trim it. When I have had to cut it short, I cried for days and days. I guess I am a freak... lolol

Bleargh! The humidity went away for a while and the heat is on. It is only eleven and I am already considering closing my windows and firing up my A/C. This heat is making me swell up. And sweat. Which is always fun.

Laundry day, today.

Have you entered my giveaway, yet?

No?

 What are you waiting for? An engraved invitation? lol

Click the link.

Go ahead.

Do it!

I dare ya!

:D

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info about the hair. I had been curious about that as well, but didn't want to ask in case it was mentioned before I found you and I didn't want to get anybody all riled up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the scale. I am considering only measuring my inches lost.
    I had no idea about locks of love selling the hair. That is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that about locks of love! Thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scale sucks. I'm doing measurements as well, but still have the compulsion to step on the darn thing at least once a day.

    As for Locks of Love...I used to work for the American Cancer Society and we used to refer people to wigs for kids instead of Locks of Love for many of the reasons you mention in your post. I know children have to apply for assistance, not sure how arduous the process is, but I'm sure it is mainly to ensure that the neediest get the help they need.

    BTW, I don't think you are a selfish ogre for wanting to keep your hair.

    And you're welcome for ruining your appetite with my post! For some reason, the idea of random human hair making up the inside of golf balls had the same effect on my appetite lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the info!

    you are losing fat and gaining muscle, muscle ways more than fat and the more muscle you have the easier it will be to burn fat. So if youre working out really hard and is going up, he happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erika, you are right that the scale is not the only measure of success. If you can feel it in your clothes and in the way you feel physically, then you're certainly making progress. Sometimes the scale gets stuck, and it is frustrating when your calories and exercise are spot on, but it just happens.

    Thanks for the info on Locks of Love. I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know that there are places that take hair donations (I am thinking of the dogs and I know they collect from hair salons...the clippings on the floor) to make oil soaking up mats? I think that is so cool and a great use to help the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had heard all you have said about Locks of Love to be true. When I shaved my head, I didn't have enough to donate, but the other girls donated theirs to Wigs for Kids. I will shave my head every year to raise money for childhood cancer research, but I was extremely curious about your banner.

    Thank you for clearing that up and I respect your decision.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! :D I love comments, enjoy discussion and debate. I wear my big girl panties and welcome constructive criticism. I do not accept anonymous comments. Not because I can't take the heat. I can. It is because I believe that if you are going to say it, you need to have the balls to put a name to it.

Please do not spam my comments. If you would like for me to check out your blog, if you follow me/have me on your blogroll and would like me to follow you/add you to my blogroll, please shoot me an e-mail with your blog URL. I will come visit :). Same goes if you are a company or PR. Please shoot me an e-mail. You can find my address in the contact tab at the top of my blog page. Thank you. :D