Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Not A Clock Watcher Anymore

You know how it goes... You diet by the clock. Breakfast at a certain time. Then it is time to bite your nails and clench your fists until noon, when you get to have lunch. Then, it is time to anxiously wait, counting the hours and minutes until you can have that afternoon snack, then, just a couple of short hours later...

Dinner!

Ugh. It sucked and it was so hard on me. And I did it every time I attempted to try to lose weight. And it didn't work. At all.

In fact, it was one of the biggest causes to send me spiralling right out of control and into the same old patterns. Being fenced in and constrained is no way to live and it is certainly no way to fuel your body.

This time around, something clicked in my idiot head and I am no longer obsessing over the time. I no longer watch the clock. I no longer eat at the stroke of the hour then white knuckle it until my next feeding.

I just gave myself permission to eat what I need to eat when I need to eat it. I eat to fuel my body, not to satisfy a stupid schedule.

In the morning, I eat breakfast when I feel like eating breakfast. Whatever time it might be... Seven or ten... Doesn't matter. I eat to live, I don't live to eat. Lunch is served when I want it, not when my clock strikes and chimes noon. Dinner? I didn't have dinner until after eight, tonight. I might have it at five, tomorrow. I don't know.

I don't care.

Neither, funnily enough, does my stomach.

I feel free. :D :D :D :D

6 comments:

  1. yes, I figured out I do better if I eat an apple and then eat 'breakfast around 10...drink two cups of coffee through two in the afternoon then eat one granola bar and one piece of fruit through till dinner and then watch out dinner.
    600 cals minimum around 730 at night. It works for me.
    I am all for doing what works these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. :D

    Boy, did it ever take me a long time to learn that, tho. lol I just kept falling back into the same old routines that didn't work. Talk about dense. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh girl that PERMISSION was KEY for me.

    The first step toward total intuitive eating!

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Good for you my friend. When do you weigh in next? Hoping what you see helps you to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miz Fit... Intuitive eating... I like that. Must do more research. :D

    Sherry, I'll weigh when I feel ready to step on my scale, again. It is very, very difficult for me to step on a scale. It has been so awful for so long and I have a real tough mental and emotional block against it. I am thinking in another week, or so?

    Maybe?

    We'll see. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great! You're getting there.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! :D I love comments, enjoy discussion and debate. I wear my big girl panties and welcome constructive criticism. I do not accept anonymous comments. Not because I can't take the heat. I can. It is because I believe that if you are going to say it, you need to have the balls to put a name to it.

Please do not spam my comments. If you would like for me to check out your blog, if you follow me/have me on your blogroll and would like me to follow you/add you to my blogroll, please shoot me an e-mail with your blog URL. I will come visit :). Same goes if you are a company or PR. Please shoot me an e-mail. You can find my address in the contact tab at the top of my blog page. Thank you. :D