Sunday, January 9, 2011

Real Jeans

Not the super stretchy, elasticized waist feans. (Faux jeans.) But the kind with a fixed waistband and a button and zip. I wore them, today. :D It felt good. It felt really good. The last time I had on a pair of real jeans was 1993. Since then, it has been feans, all the way. And it always made me sad. It always made me feel different, separated, not as good, less.

I don't have to feel like that, anymore. As anyone who reads regularly knows, I received a couple of pair of Venetzia jeans from a lovely, generous fellow blogger a while back. When I first unpacked them I tried them on. And was delighted to actually get them on and fastened. But they were far too tight. They didn't look well and I couldn't sit down in them. No way would I even consider wearing them out of my house. I packed one pair away in my "future clothes" container and the other pair went into a drawer to hang out while I worked on losing more flab. Every now and again I would take them out and try them on. Every time I did, I got a little bit closer to them fitting me properly. I knew that some day I would be able to put them on, they would look good and I would wlk out my door in them.

Today was that day. I was getting ready to run out to the store and I thought that, just for shits and giggles, I would try my jeans. See if I was any closer. With half held breath, I pulled them out of the drawer, placed one foot in a leg and puled them a little way up. Put the other foot through the other leg and pulled them easily, smoothly up my legs, up over my hips until they settled right in at my waistline. No wiggling, no bouncing, to tugging, no chipped nails. I brought the two sides together without sucking in, tugging or having to apply any force. The button slipped right into it's waiting buttonhole, the zipper went up. I actually had a little room in the waist! :D

Gentle readers, I wore those jeans, today. They were comfortable, they looked nice and they felt wonderful. The size? Size seven or 26-28. I know... That is a size that most of you started at. I had to lose almost a hundred pounds to wear that size. At my heaviest, I couldn't squeeze into a size 34WT pair of stretchy feans. I had to lose a bunch of weight to get into those. Then I had to lose more weight to get into my 32WT feans. I gave away the 34WTs. Guess it is time for the 32WTs to go, as well. I don't need them, anymore.

I don't want them, anymore. I never want to put them on, again.

I don't have to!

Geeze! I am so wordy! All that raggle baggle to say I wore a pair of jeans, today. Maybe I need to get over myself? lol

My food is good, today. I am right on track and I have 160 calories left to play with, if I so desire. Water is just about all done, too. It felt good to get out of the house and move around a bit, even if it was just to pop into a couple of stores. Not exactly heavy duty all out walking. But I think that I will be ready to get out there, very soon. I have a followup with the doc at the Urgent Care about my shingles tomorrow and I am hoping that he will give me the all clear to get out there.

Willy Dog has decided to get back on the bandwagon. He is eating 1600 calories a day and is giving up sugary soda. He has about seventy pounds to lose and if he stays on track and incorporates some exercise, he should be able to reach his goal (180) by June. He has asked me to help him and to track his calories so he knows where he is each day. He refuses to drink large amounts of water... He says it makes him sick to do so. Whatever. As long as he gets enough fluids one way or the other, cuts out the sugar packed soda and eats better, he will be doing himself a huge favour. He needs to dump the weight, last time he went to the doctor, he was told that he was boderline diabetic. This will be good for him.

Okay, so I suppose I have nattered on and on and on long enough. 

16 comments:

  1. You have every right to toot your own horn over that victory! Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Erika! That is a HUGE accomplishment! So happy to have found your blog...it's so encouraging as I start my new, healthy lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! Wooot! My Friend!! I'm so thrilled for you, Erika!! I know how important real jeans are - and how wonderful they make us feel!!

    Way to go! And tell Willy Dog I said he can DO this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well there's an NSV if I have ever seen one! Congrats! I bet it felt wonderful walking outside in those jeans, knowing how much work you put in to have that as your reward :) Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the jeans, Erika. That is a grear NSV. The biggest pair of jeans I wore before my surgery was a 48 waist I couldn't wear them at my heaviest and wore only soft stretchable knit pants. It is such a relief now to be able to walk into a store and find something that fits me. Before surgery for many years I had to special order everything. All those clothes are gone now except that one pair of jeans, as a reminder of where I was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the JEANS!!! I Own one pair of that brand of jean. They are from lane Bryant. I actually wore them on Christmas Day! Enjoy your Achomplishment. You deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!!! Your determination and perseverence are paying off in spades, darlin'! Keep up the good work! Maybe if WD adds some lime wedges to the water (what I do to get it in me)...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's to real jeans! You go, (and keep goin') girl! Keep the inspiration going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You GO, Girl!

    I remember the day I put on that first pair of jeans from my future clothes pile...it was awesome.
    Enjoy every minute of this NSV. You've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is so wonderful. Way to go and keep up the good work and before you know it, those jeans will be going in the give away pile, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh I love this post. Every 24 year old like me wants to look cute in a pair of jeans, and I have been condemned to fake jeans and sweat pants. I can't find a good pair of jeans that I like at any store like my friends, and that for me is the worst part of being over weight. I am making strides to get healthier on my blog, and I so enjoy reading about people who are in the same boat as I am, but stories like yours where change has already happened makes me so inspired! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOHOOO!!!!!!!! I am doing a happy dance for you! Congrats, I know how awesome it feels to have a nice pair of real jeans that fit and feel nice.

    Thanks for reading me and understanding about my binge-fest week. And thanks for having my back. Great to know someone does. :D

    Keep on rockin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best happy news I've heard all day. You, my dear, are never less than. You are more than you will ever know - real jeans or not.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! :D I love comments, enjoy discussion and debate. I wear my big girl panties and welcome constructive criticism. I do not accept anonymous comments. Not because I can't take the heat. I can. It is because I believe that if you are going to say it, you need to have the balls to put a name to it.

Please do not spam my comments. If you would like for me to check out your blog, if you follow me/have me on your blogroll and would like me to follow you/add you to my blogroll, please shoot me an e-mail with your blog URL. I will come visit :). Same goes if you are a company or PR. Please shoot me an e-mail. You can find my address in the contact tab at the top of my blog page. Thank you. :D